“This Week in Rocket League” is a weekly news report by community veteran Jasher, in which he gives the readers of Rocketeers.gg an overview on all the things that happened this week in the Rocket League scene. Make sure to check back every week to never miss Rocket League news.
Salty Shores Releases Late May
- A new boardwalk-themed arena, Salty Shores
- Competitive Season 8
- Rocket League X Monstercat Vol. 3
- And a new Octane hitbox battlecar, the Twinzer.
In June, expect to see the next in-game event, Beach Blast, on the 11th, and a new licensed battlecar.
Ballistix Brawl Concludes Sunday
The month long Ballistix Brawl concludes on Sunday with the playoffs. 6 teams have qualified so far:
- Dignitas (formerly Gale Force)
- Flipsid3 Tactics
- PSG eSports
- Renault Sport Team Vitality
- The Bricks
Two more teams acquire spots in the final qualifier on Friday. The playoffs begin Sunday on twitch.tv/Ballistix.
Amazing play from last week’s Ballistix Brawl: Rocket League!! https://t.co/uzou3SsFoD
— Ballistix Gaming (@ballistixgaming) May 21, 2018
Northern Arena Takes Shape
8 teams from Europe and North America qualified for the Northern Arena Finals last weekend.
Per the standard, play began with North America on Saturday. NRG swept their way to a #1 seed by not dropping a game during the entire regional. After a surprising quarter-final loss to Splyce, Cloud9 defeated G2 in the lower finals to take the 2nd seed. G2 and the newly promoted RLCS squad, FlyQuest, took the 3rd and 4th seeds respectively.
Grabbed that #1 seed going into @NorthernArena in July. Looking forward to getting back to a LAN environment. Well played to my teammates, gave it everything right until the end. GG’s
— miztik (@miztikRL) May 20, 2018
Sunday showcased the depth of competitive teams in Europe. All 4 World Championship teams participated, but only the regional champions, Dignitas, qualified for the Northern Arena Finals. Flipsid3 stole the first seed from the regional champs, defeating them in the winners finals and, again, in the bracket reset match. PSG grabbed the 3rd seed after dropping Envy and exceL to the lower bracket. exceL shook the boat, defeating Servette, who they lost to in the promotion tournament, and Vitality, who took 2nd place in the European Championship, to grab the 4th and final seed.
- APL 2.0 League Play | Week 1 Recap}
- Chiefs’ Torsos more confident than ever for RLCS
- Interview with #DIGRL player Chicago
- LSU return to the top of Collegiate Rocket League
- Rocket Street announces RLCS-style league for South America
- Saints Gaming Hosting Tournament outside Detroit in early June
- Tainted Minds’ CJCJ: “I’d love to face Chrome”
- Will The D00ds ever make a comeback?
- Winning it all, then almost losing it all: Team EnVyUs returns to the RLCS World Championship
- Astronauts Competitions Return for May
- Dignitas acquires Gale Force roster
- G2 Wins the Spring Open
- Gfinity Elite Series Australia format released
- Golden Dust Cup LAN, August 4th, in Barcelona
- MLD Hosts Awards Show Saturday
- Rocket League DLC Discounted on Humble Bundle
- RLCD Launches Merchandise Store
- Talent Announced for AVGL Collegiate Series at DreamHack Austin
- World Gaming announces Canadian-only 20K LAN
- 20 Questions: Timi
- Behind the Role: Kronovi
- Gfinity Champions: Renault Sport Team Vitality
- Live from Mannfield: “Salty Pool 2”, Salty Shores Update, Unofficial Patch Notes, Northern Arena Teams Finalized!
- The Talk Back: Shakahron, Markydooda, Scrub Kills, and Esports Betting
For the latest updates on This Week in Rocket League, follow @JasherIO!